As a teaser to bring people to see my final thesis show I made detail images of my work and turned them into negative to positive gifs as well. This way my friends and family could see a sneak peek without seeing the whole artwork.
Dear Spring 2017 New Media Class,
Welcome to our class website! This is the home of where we will host, discuss, present & archive our work. Each student will be given an editor’s log in / account the next time that we meet on 2/28/17. This will allow for you to begin adding, hosting and publishing your work to the site. This week due to the president’s day holiday we will not meet in class but there are somethings I would like for you to do before the next class. These items below are mandatory so please plan to spend some time exploring.
- Please spend some time preparing the captured media you took from projects #1 & #2 for next class (if you have not completed project #2 – the 3D project please do so and prepare those images) This refers to the photos that you took during the process of creating your work. We also experimented with the giphycam and recorded a few GIFs. Please place these images and media onto a flash drive, add them to dropbox, icloud, external hard-drive or into another method of easy access to work from in class. (Yes, the process images that you took while your pieces were being made in progress need to be accessible.) Bring these items to class on 2/28.
- Create a free account on both http://newhive.com & http://to.be – these are digital Net Art creation and publishing platforms. Please explore both platforms and see what they do. They are similar in many ways but also have advantages and disadvantages in comparison to each other. You may apply the images & media you have prepared from projects #1 & #2 here. I highly suggest watching the newhive tutorials and reading the user guide. Each student should create at least one piece on both newhive and to.be before our next class. You can explore my profiles on both platforms here – https://newhive.com/ryanseslow/profile/all – http://to.be/ryanseslow
- Watch the Net Art Tutorial I created for insight into the process – http://www.ryanseslow.com/a-how-to-net-art-gif-making-tutorial/
- Check out this cool “Trace Loops” How-to tutorial by my friend and CUNY colleague Michael Branson Smith
- Those students who have already graduated may also receive this notice about the assignment above, feel free to join in and keep your presence alive here!!