Tag: collage

3D Project – Statue Documentation

statue_documentation

This is my 3D project.  Here, you can see the comics that I glued on the sides of it, as well as the string and paint job.  I was mostly trying to see which format would photograph best, and then see which is the best side for the shadow projection (for the Dancing Shadows GIF).  In order to get the paint and images to photograph their best, it’s best to use the correct lighting and the correct background (hence, why photography studios are so bright and they have very specific backgrounds; the shiny ones where they photograph objects on).  Each side has its strong points and weak points (hence, why it was so fun to photograph).

3D Project – Roots

roots_documentation

Here are the roots to my tree.  I first started out with three roots (one of them being to the trunk) and after I glued them, it proved to be not strong enough to hold up my tree.  The fourth one that you see is really a rainbow (it was added on to the same time for support).  The largest roots (with the longest base) were added on much later.  I glued them to the blue area (which is supposed to represent Earth) once the sculpture was finished.  Above, the roots were only posed so I would know where to add them on before I glued them on.  I then painted them purple and gold for color.  The lighter purple that you see was a leftover purple that I made months ago, while the darker one was a store-bought purple (which is now my favorite purple color to paint with.)

3D Project – Branches

branches_documentation

These photos show my thought process on making the branches of my piece, ‘The Nine Realms.’  I had cut them all out of cardboard, and I painted them.  I had used an old drawing of an ancient sea serpent for the body, which I cut up and glued onto the branches and the main body of the tree.  The half-circles are the pieces used to stabilize the tree and to hold the skinnier pieces of the trunk together.  Later, I glued the largest roots to the half circles as a base to connect the supports.

3D Project – Tree

tree_documentation

This is a slideshow of the ‘Tree’ part of my 3D project.  The images show the final piece (in its colors, collages, pieces, and assembly.)  I had to use the glue gun to glue the branches, roots, and pieces together.  After it was assembled, it still looked fragile, so I used colorful string to tie it together so each part is connected to something else.

Slideshow of the 2D project

2D_documentation

Here’s a slideshow of the 2D project.  As you can see, there were many previous layers of paint and comics before I came to the final layout.  It took many days for the whole project to finish drying (with all of the wet paint, ink, and water that I applied.)  I first applied old comics to the canvas (and glued them on), and then I applied ink to it.  Later, I painted over it multiple times, by using different techniques.  The reason why I say that I added water was because of the rolling brush that I used (I had to wash it so many times, it became very damp, hence why the comics fell away.)  The old comics then dried, and I re-glued them on and then glued newer comics too.  After the paint completely dried, I applied the top collages of the sea serpent, spider-man, the UFO and the border.  I am very pleased with the final results.

Yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Ok, here is my 2D project.  This piece is called “Yggdrasil,” but to be more specific, it is called “Yggdrasil: Midgard” since this is part of a series (I’ll make the other eight pieces at a later date.)  So, why the name?  It’s because I got it from the name of the World’s Tree in Norse Mythology.  Midgard is Earth, and this is an interpretation of Earth.  We see the U.F.O. (symbolizing technology), Spider-Man (for the people of Earth), the sea monster (for both the animals and the Midgard Serpent), and the golden border with runes (for the languages and writing of Earth.)  This is a collage piece that I did, with pieces of cut-out comic books and paint covering an old canvas.  I was experimenting with paint to make the background and to give it the bumpy texture.

For the canvas, I was  testing old paint styles on it, and when it was done, instead of throwing it out, I decided to keep it.  When this project came up, I went to gluing comic strips on in, and applying paint on top.  I was experimenting with lots of paint, water, glue, and comic strips, before I came up with the final background.  I then glued the characters that we see on top, and then I was happy with my piece.