Tag: making of

3D Project – Roots

roots_documentation

Here are the roots to my tree.  I first started out with three roots (one of them being to the trunk) and after I glued them, it proved to be not strong enough to hold up my tree.  The fourth one that you see is really a rainbow (it was added on to the same time for support).  The largest roots (with the longest base) were added on much later.  I glued them to the blue area (which is supposed to represent Earth) once the sculpture was finished.  Above, the roots were only posed so I would know where to add them on before I glued them on.  I then painted them purple and gold for color.  The lighter purple that you see was a leftover purple that I made months ago, while the darker one was a store-bought purple (which is now my favorite purple color to paint with.)

3D Project – Branches

branches_documentation

These photos show my thought process on making the branches of my piece, ‘The Nine Realms.’  I had cut them all out of cardboard, and I painted them.  I had used an old drawing of an ancient sea serpent for the body, which I cut up and glued onto the branches and the main body of the tree.  The half-circles are the pieces used to stabilize the tree and to hold the skinnier pieces of the trunk together.  Later, I glued the largest roots to the half circles as a base to connect the supports.

3D Project – Tree

tree_documentation

This is a slideshow of the ‘Tree’ part of my 3D project.  The images show the final piece (in its colors, collages, pieces, and assembly.)  I had to use the glue gun to glue the branches, roots, and pieces together.  After it was assembled, it still looked fragile, so I used colorful string to tie it together so each part is connected to something else.

Slideshow of the 2D project

2D_documentation

Here’s a slideshow of the 2D project.  As you can see, there were many previous layers of paint and comics before I came to the final layout.  It took many days for the whole project to finish drying (with all of the wet paint, ink, and water that I applied.)  I first applied old comics to the canvas (and glued them on), and then I applied ink to it.  Later, I painted over it multiple times, by using different techniques.  The reason why I say that I added water was because of the rolling brush that I used (I had to wash it so many times, it became very damp, hence why the comics fell away.)  The old comics then dried, and I re-glued them on and then glued newer comics too.  After the paint completely dried, I applied the top collages of the sea serpent, spider-man, the UFO and the border.  I am very pleased with the final results.