As a first time zine-maker I must admit that the process was enjoyable! My initial thought was to compose a collage. I figured that would be the most obvious approach because as art students we’ve all experienced collaging at some point. But this time was different than the rest because I got to use my own original images. When you think of collage your mind races to high school art class when you had to shift through a pile of magazine clippings and pick out imagery that represents who you are. Then you had to paste those images on top of a silhouetted head that is also supposed to represent you… boring. Here we were able to combine original 2-D work with stills of gifs/videos, free-to-use images (thx NY Public Library) and text to convey an idea.
The antiquated looking photos were pulled directly from the New York Public Library digital collection. There are tons, and I mean tons, of free-to-use images on there.
In class we displayed our zine pages and I had a breakthrough. My pages didn’t have to be so tight and proper. Some of my classmates’ pages looked as if they were all bustled together. They were untidy yet totally appealing. Their original works were hurled together in an unpolished layout with appropriated images, scribbles of text and photocopied repeatedly in true zine fashion.
Now, I realize I haven’t totally conformed to the authentic zine spirit but that’s just not my style. So, in an attempt to embrace the zine fashion I experimented with the photocopier and incorporated some corbels. I placed them directly on the scanner and they came out totally awesome! I cut them out and used them in my composition. I love the contrast the scanner provides. *side note: experiment copying with colored paper*
After this collaboration project I feel as if I graduated from a zine novice to an advanced beginner.